What is a ‘dementia-friendly community’?
People living with dementia have told us that for them a “dementia-friendly community” is one which supports them to:
• Carry on doing the same things they have always done, like going to the shops, getting on a bus, playing golf or just sitting in a park.
• Find their way around and feel safe
• Keep in touch with people and feel that they belong in their community
What can help to make a community “dementia-friendly”?
Things can be made easier if we live in a community which is easy to find our way around and in which people are helpful and supportive.
For example – people have told us that things that help include:
• People who understand about memory – this can be people in shops, bus drivers, friends and family or anyone you come into contact with.
• Clear signposting, so people know where they are going and where things are
• Clearly written information on things like bus timetables or leaflets about services
• Being able to spend time with other people in a similar situation
• Having someone to go places with
Why are we asking these questions?
We want to find out how people living with dementia are supported in Knowsley, what facilities or services they use, what helps them and what is difficult for them.
We would also like you to tell us what makes Knowsley a good place to live for people with dementia and what more needs to be done in order to make Knowsley a dementia friendly borough by 2020.
Dementia Friendly Knowsley Survey
Knowsley Council and partners are working to develop a Dementia Friendly Strategy to help make Knowsley a dementia friendly borough by 2020.
As part of this, we would like to hear from our residents about what makes Knowsley a good place to live for people with dementia and what more needs to be done to make Knowsley a dementia friendly borough by 2020.
We are also interested in getting feedback from people who are currently living with dementia or supporting people with dementia in Knowsley on their experiences.
Please share your thoughts and complete this short survey by
Wednesday 28th February
You can also complete this survey online if you prefer by following the link:
Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey.
Please return your completed survey to:
Lisa Corkhill, Knowsley MBC, Commissioning Team, 4th Floor, Huyton Municipal Building, Archway Road, Huyton, L36 9YU
firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 0151 443 4773