Level 2 Alert for a 70% probability of severe cold weather between 0600 on Friday 14 Dec and 2359 on Saturday 15 Dec in in the North West of England
Follow the tips below to ensure you stay safe during the cold weather:-
• Have plenty of hot food and drinks.
• Wear lots of thin layers (clothes made from cotton, wool or fleecy fibres).
• Homes should be heated to the right temperature: at least 18°C (65˚F)
• If you can’t heat all the rooms you use, heat the living room during the day and your bedroom just before you go to bed.
• Check on elderly and vulnerable relatives and neighbours.
• If you have a long-term condition and start to feel unwell, get advice from your pharmacist.
• Make sure you pick up your prescriptions well before the Christmas.
• If you have a gas/solid fuel appliance/boiler, consider getting an audible carbon monoxide alarm and test it weekly – it can save your life.
• Keep heaters and fires away from clothes, blankets and other combustible materials.
• Electric blankets – check the wires are not frayed and they are safe to use. Do not leave them on unattended.