Follow the tips below to ensure you stay safe during the cold weather:-
• Have plenty of hot food and drinks.
• Wear lots of thin layers (clothes made from cotton, wool or fleecy fibres).
• Homes should be heated to the right temperature: at least 18°C (65˚F)
• If you can’t heat all the rooms you use, heat the living room during the day and your bedroom just before you go to bed.
• Check on elderly and vulnerable relatives and neighbours.
• If you have a long-term condition and start to feel unwell, get advice from your pharmacist.
• Make sure you pick up your prescriptions well before the Christmas.
• If you have a gas/solid fuel appliance/boiler, consider getting an audible carbon monoxide alarm and test it weekly – it can save your life.
• Keep heaters and fires away from clothes, blankets and other combustible materials.
• Electric blankets – check the wires are not frayed and they are safe to use. Do not leave them on unattended.